Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Partying It Up

Today is a cold and rainy day. Last week it was pretty nice, so the school put all their kerosene heaters away. However, this week it's been chilly and what makes it worse is that there are no heaters. Geez!!!


Last night、 it was the school's farewell party for the teachers who are being transferred out. The hall that was rented out in the hotel nearby, the same one that was used for the end of the year party, had round tables. However, the guests of honor, which were the people that are leaving, were at a long table in the side of the room.

The party started at 6:30. When we got there, we picked letters randomly from a box, which told us where to sit. I did this 3 times because they wanted me to have at least one other English speaker at my table. I was greatful for that. Then, we go to our seats. The party officially starts with a toast. We all get our glasses and say "Kanpai" (Cheers!!!).

Here is a rule to follow. We always pour the drink for the person next to us. This means that once the drinks hit the table, you do not pour the drink for yourself. Instead, you pour the drink for the person next to you and they will pour the drink for you.

Throughout the evening, everyone would go to the guests of honor and pour drinks into their cups, say some words of encouragement and good wishes and move on to the next person. Usually, people would say "Gambatte Kudasai" (Please do your best) and a little bit of small talk, depending on how close they were to that person. The guests of honor, would take sips of their drink every time somone would come up, which was constantly, in order for there to be space to pour more drinks. My vice principal, who is also leaving, had a hidden bucket next to him, so that he could pour out his drink every once in awhile. It would allow us to fill up his cup. lol.

There were also speechs by everyone who was leaving.

In the end, everyone got in a circle, put their arms around each other and sang the school song. Then, we do Bonzai before going home. I guess this is how they end all enkais (drinking parties) because the other big enkai I went to ended the same way.
It's a little bit surreal when we get into the circle because at school, I'm usually in my own little bubble and don't really realize anything around me. However, when we get into a circle, that's when I realize "Wow I'm the only foreigner here. Everyone else here is Japanese." lol. It's such a stupid thing to think because it's so obvious, but I usually forget about how different my surroundings our now compared to my life prior to coming here.

Anyway, before leaving, everyone got into two lines and lifted their arms, so that the guests of honor could walk under them. The men were at the end by the door because they would throw up the guys who were leaving 3 times in the air. Kim said that her school also throws up the girls, but mine only lifts the guys. However, the last person walking out of the door was a female Japanese teacher. The male gym teacher was really drunk and told the guys to throw her up as well. She was so embarrassed, but the guys gave in and threw her up.
It was interesting to see this all take place.

At the end of the night, most of the teachers went to after parties but I decided to go home because I had to go to work the next day.

This morning, there were only like 3 guys in the teacher's office and they were all the way at the other end. My end was completely dark. lol. Yup, I'm the one who turned on the lights. Most people took nenkyu (vacation time) a few hours in the morning or just took the entire day off. It's Spring Break, so it's the perfect time to do that. I want to save my vacation days for later on though.

On Wednesday it's the English Department's Welcome Party for the new teachers. Hmmm...I might go to the after party for that one.

0 comments: