Monday, March 23, 2009

Okonomiyaki Time

I think that every time I post, it opens the flood gates to another post. I think that I post in clumps, leave for a month, and then do another clump. I should be more consistent.

Anyway, let me talk about one type of Japanese food that I never had until I got here. Well to be truthful, I never really ate Japanese food until I came to Japan.

Anyway, today I will be talking about Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き ). It's a Japanese pancake with basically anything. More specifically, it's a mixture of vegetables, beef, pork, or seafood.
According to Wikipedia, and we all know that they are never wrong "The name is derived from the word okonomi, meaning "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki meaning "grilled" or "cooked' ".

Usually, but not always, you ask for what you want. Then, they will bring you a bowl with the raw ingredients. There is a grill in front of you, so you mix the ingredients and make the pancake yourself. Then you savor its deliciousness.

This is a video of Monica, Eric and I eating at an Okonomiyaki place close to our house. We are being silly while cooking the food.

0 comments: