Friday, April 3, 2009

Dancing Chairs: School Stuff 101

Since the teachers all know what they will be teaching starting on the 20th, they now have switched their desks, in order to be close to other teachers in their grade. They usually don't switch the ALT desk, so I'm fine. However, there is another ALT who comes her one day a week. The desk in front of me was used by any guest ALTS until now. However, now they put a Japanese (Japanese language) teacher in front of me and moved the other ALT to the other side of the room. I like how everyone was waiting for the ALTS to be mad at this, but we don't really care. I'm actually excited by the move. The Japanese teacher is young (probably around my age) and although her English isn't great, she isn't scared to talk to me. We usually don't understand each other, but the English teachers that sit to my left tend to help us out. She also asks a lot of questions like "How do you say this in English?". She told me that she wanted to improve her English and I told her that I wanted to improve my Japanese.
I think I kind of hurt her feelings today though because I finally finished my Japanese assignment for tomorrow's lesson with Maki, which was to write about my day in Japanese. She noticed that I was doing Japanese homework and told me that she would check it over. However, my Japanese is soooo bad that I didn't want her to see the disaster that is my paper. Although she insisted, I said no. lol. Maybe one day when I am more confident I will let her look over my stuff before class.

Let me back track now. The day of the desk switch, my new supervisor said "I'm sorry, I know that you will miss the ALT sitting next to you (as if she was going far away)". I said that it was Fine. He was like "Really?". lol. I don't know why he was so surprised.

Then today another English teacher told me to inform the other ALT that her desk had been moved, so that she wouldn't be surprised when she arrived on Monday. I told her that I had contacted her already and I believed it would be better for the other ALT anyway because she wanted to improve her Japanese and this would help her. That English teacher was really surprised about my reaction as well.

Did they think that we would get angry and start complaning to the principal or something? lol.

Anyway, today I had to do the lesson plan for the introduction class for OC1. SInce I have been doing mostly grammar classes until now, I have been a bit nervous about these new classes, but excited as well. I had to do my lesson plan and worksheet a million times (ok maybe I'm exaggerating) until it finally got a thumbs up by one of the teachers. I was happy though because my last draft was much better than my first. After I finished, I gave a copy to all the teachers who will be working with me on OC1 because they will have a meeting about the lesson on the 7th of April. Here is hoping that they like it.

I also have a 3rd year OC class with a new teacher that was just transferred in. I have no idea what I'm going to do with that class. Oh boy! The only advantage I have is that I know those students because they were in my 2nd year class.

It's 4:30 PM on a Friday. What am I still doing at school? Let me go home. :)

1 comments:

Eric said...

They were probably just worried that they separated the ALTs. They don't realize that it isn't a big deal for that many ALTs because there is often no one in the room but ALTs so you can yell all you want across the room. Yay!

Also, you should just let her look at your Japanese stuff! It doesn't matter how bad it is and if it makes you shy. She will see that you are trying to learn her language and even if you make mistakes it will show her you are trying. That way, she will know that when she speaks English to you, even if she makes a mistake you will be there to help and support her!

P.S.
Use. Twitter. More.

That is all.