Monday, January 18, 2010

Who watched the MAMAs (MNET Asiana Music Awards)?

First published on November 24, 2009.

I watched the MNET Asiana Music Awards (MAMA) last night. I wasn't really able to understand it, since it was in Korean, but I mostly watched it for the performances.

Here are my thoughts on the award show. A lot of it comes from a facebook conversation with a friend of mine.

MAMA was actually showing when I was away. I went to Fukuoka, which is a city like 4 hours away by car from me, to watch sumo. Sumo was really cool by the way.
Anyway, I did watch it yesterday when I got back. I fast forwarded a lot of parts because it was in Korean, which I wouldn't be able to understand anyway.

I did watch all of the performances and the acceptance of the awards that I liked.
My favorite performance, of course, was the Taeyang & G-Dragon performance. G-Dragon's "Heartbreaker" was awesome and he looked good. Taeyang was HOT! I love the song "Wedding Dress". I just think that his vocals suffer a bit in his performances because he dances so much. I love the dancing, but it makes him too tired to sing properly at times.
"Korean Dream" with both of them was great. G-Dragon is so amazing with the visuals in his performances. He definitely knows how to put on a good show.

I also really liked the new song by CL & Minzy from the girl group 2ne1. They are both fierce and I adored it. Their song was my favorite part of the 2ne1 performance.

It was sad to see 2 PM perform "Again & Again" without Jay, but I loved that they won Best Artist of the Year. I think that they have done really well this year and their album is good. I kind of wish that JYP wasn't in the middle of their "Heartbeat" performance. It was a bit distracting to have him wave his glowing wand around. OK, I know he was supposed to be the conductor, but it looked off.

I actually liked Brown Eyed Girls & Kara's dance mash-up. BEG are so freakin' cool. Those are ladies right there, not little girls. lol. I loved it.

Oh and my fav new rookie boy band is Beast. Their album is really good. Surprisingly good, actually. I thought I wasn't going to like them, but I really do. Their performance of "Lies" (originally by Big Bang) at the awards was pretty good.It wasn't even close to as great as Big Bang's performance of it and they even cut out TOP's part, but they danced it well and it wasn't that bad. I wish they had changed it up a bit or just done a song of their own. The leader hasn't been in the last 2 performances though. He wasn't even at the awards. That scared me a bit because he is one of my favs. I hope everything is alright.

Another thing that I loved about the night was that G-Dragon won album of the year because I LOVE THAT ALBUM.I even love the case it's in. Yes, I bought it just for the cool case. lol.

It was sad that SM Entertainment boycotted, but I kind of understand their point. It's horrible that this grudge was created and even worse for the artists.
I wasn't too sad though because all of my favorite artists were still there at the awards. (^_^)

Song Listening to at the Moment: "Tired of Waiting" by 2PM

0 comments: