Monday, January 18, 2010

English Camp, Debate Finals & JLPT All Back to Back. Whoah!

First published on December 7, 2009


What a crazy 4 days I've had. It seemed like everything I was worried or worked hard for came together in one weekend.

First, let me start with the English Camp I went to.


On Thursday and Friday, I went to an English Camp hosted by one of the top academic schools in Miyazaki. My friend works there as an ALT, so he invited me and 9 other ALTs/ CIRs to work there on both days. The students are high level students in the humanities department of the high school. These are some of the best of the best from the prefecture.

The theme of this year's camp was living in an eco-friendly & sustainable country. The students did activities related to this theme. They even listened to a lecture in English done by a college professor from Miyazaki International College about the topic. It all came together on Friday with their final project, which was to present information on a country they were assigned to in school & give proposals on how to improve that country's sustainability. (Something like that. I have no idea how they did what they did). This was a project that they had been working on in school with the help of their English teachers, ALT, and some college students, so it was probably a relief for them that they were finally able to present their information and get it over with.

Each ALT was assigned to a group, which was divided up by the country presentations that they were working on. My group was the Ghana team. Although we were able to interact with all of the students, we mostly stayed within our group during the activities & meals. For example, on Thursday night, we helped our group create and put on an English Christmas skit revolving around a prop that was given to us. On Friday morning, we helped our group with last minute preparations for their presentation, which meant fixing grammar and pronunciation.

Although it was tiring, since we had to be with the students all the time from morning until night time, it was a really great experience. The students have to always speak English during camp and I was really surprised that most students always spoke English to each other the entire time. When they were finally able to speak Japanese at the end of camp, I still heard one student talk in English to his friend. My mouth dropped. It was really AMAZING!!!

The students were really excited about being there and it created a great mood for the camp.

All of the ALTs and CIRs that worked in the camp were super impressed by all of the students.

JLPT in Kagoshima & Debate Tournament Results


On Saturday, I had to take a train down to Kagoshima to take my JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test). However, it was the same day as the Kyushu/Okinawa debate finals in Kumamoto. I wish I could have been in 2 places at once, but I decided that I should just go to Kagoshima early on Saturday, so that I wouldn't be super tired for the test on Sunday. Of course, I forgot to get the other coaches phone numbers, so I couldn't call them to know what was happening.

I had my thoughts on the debate competition, but I also knew that I had to get focused on the test. However, I knew that whatever I studied that day wouldn't make too much of a difference now. I would be cramming stuff, but it wouldn't be enough time to cram enough information in order to pass. I started regretting not taking more time to study, but since I was in Kagoshima already, I decided to make the best out of the experience.

Kim and I tried to study at night at a Joyful (IHOP type of restaurant), but we were already tired and we called it a night.

The next morning, we went really early to Kagoshima University, which is where we took the test. From there, we split up into our levels.

The test itself had many long breaks, which just made me lazier and sleepier. I would have liked shorter breaks, so that I could just get it done and be finished earlier. I don't think I did that well. However, at least now that I have been through it once, I know better what to expect and what I should focus on when I study for the next time I take it.

During the test's lunch break, I received a great call. One of my JTEs, who is also a debate coach, called me to tell me that my debate team had won 2nd place in the Kyushu/Okinawa debate finals. I was so excited. I almost started crying because I was so happy. I wish I had been in Kumamoto to see the reaction on my debate team's faces when they got 2nd place. It's so amazing. I don't think any of us expected it, but it was so wonderful to know that they had done so well after working so hard.

After the call, I got ready for the 3rd & final part of the test, grammar and reading comprehension. Yes, it's the scariest part of them all. lol

Once the test was finished, Kim and I got on a train back home. I was so happy to be home and relax after those crazy 4 days.

Song I'm Listening To At the Moment: "Man Man Ha Ni" by U-Kiss

0 comments: