Monday, May 18, 2009

Asian Idols: Business, Pop Culture & Some Catchy Tunes

I have a new song stuck in my head at all times of the day. The song is called Yue Lai Yue Ai (越來越愛) , or Loving You More and More by Fahrenheit.





Fahrenheit is a Taiwanese boy band. Each member of the band has his own season and temperature to coincide with the boy band name. No, I'm not making this up. lol. They are Taiwanese but they have done some songs in Japanese. I guess they want to be like BOA (Korean) or Arashi (Japanese), with huge success all over Asia.

I just found out about them because I was watching a really good Taiwanese drama (ToGetHer) and the opening and closing song is sung by them. Then, when I looked into it, I realized that the main actor in the drama, Jiro Wang, was one of the singers in the band. It's kind of like MatsuJun doing Hana Yori Dango with his band Arashi doing the theme songs. The same is true with the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango, except it's the actor that plays Rui Hanazawa's (Ji Hoo) character,Kim Hyun Joong, who is in the band SS501 .

Asian idol machines and pop culture is so interesting. They really know how to get a big pay off with an idol's 15 minutes of fame. They just squeeze these celebrities dry with movies, music, tv, modeling, products, ads etc. Once they are used goods and the new thing is here, the cycle begins again with the new talent. It's so much more intense than in the States. An idol in the States, like the 'NSYNC boys, are supposed to sing, but people don't expect them to act as well and do a million other things. In Asia, they are expected to have many preforming talents.
Man, I love pop culture. Sorry for the long useless blog. I just love this shit.


Anyway, to end this post, I'll put the music video for Fahrenheit's closing theme song to ToGetHer. It's called MoMo (默默) or Silently. The song is great and you can see scenes from the tv drama.









By the way, just FYI, when I was in Hong Kong (Golden Week vacation), I heard Utada's English album everywhere. I would go into stores and they would be playing it. I thought that was cool.

0 comments: