Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Seoul- Birthday Weekend Fun!

For my birthday weekend, I went to South Korea with my friends Kim, Matt and Asha. We stayed in Seoul from Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon.

Seoul was amazing. We found great shopping areas everywhere. Insadong had great souvenir shops and an interesting mall with tons of cute things to see & buy.

When I was shopping in Dongdaemun, I felt like I was in the K-drama "Cinderella Man". I thought that I was going to turn a corner and bump into Yoon Ah trying to sell me a dress. (^_-) It was really cool. I also loved the Myeong-dong area. This area had both street vendors and regular stores like Forever 21 & Zara. It had the best of both worlds.

Just by reading this, you can tell that I did a good amount of shopping in Seoul including a sweater, winter hat, coat, souvenirs for school, a cute necklace & socks.Yes, I bought many , maybe too many, socks. lol.

Another thing we did in Myeong-dong, besides shopping, was watching a play. It was called Nanta and it was about a group of chefs that had to prepare a variety of dishes for a wedding. There was barely any dialogue and yet it was really funny. Most of the music in the show was performed with things found in a kitchen, such as utensils, pots, cutting boards, etc. All of us enjoyed it.

Seoul wasn't all about shopping & entertainment. We also did a bit of sightseeing. We went to Gyeongbok Palace. It was really beautiful. The fall leaves made it even more stunning. Even the cold couldn't damper my excitement. I took tons of pictures and videos with my camera.

We also went to the DMZ (the demilitarized zone), which is the strip of land between North and South Korea. When I was there, I kept thinking about how I was taking part in dark tourism. However, it was really interesting. We were able to walk through the third tunnel, which was a tunnel that crosses the dmz and was dug out by North Korea to invade South Korea. We were also able to see North Korea through binoculars that they have for tourists.

Another place we went to was Samcheong-dong. I loved this neighborhood. It had really cute coffee shops, restaurants, shops and galleries. We went there on our last day before we had to go to the airport. It was a nice place to have our final goodbye.

Ok, and now for the most important thing: FOOD. I love Korean food and it was one of the many reasons that I was excited to go on this trip. The food that I ate there did not let me down. Everything I ate was super DELICIOUS! My taste buds and tummy were very happy.

By the end of the trip, we were all extremely happy with our trip, sad that it was over so quick and singing along to SHINee's "Ring, Ding, Dong" song.


What is "Ring Ding Dong" you ask, well here it is for your viewing pleasure.





You can check out my pictures of Seoul in my Flickr Account

0 comments: